Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How I Got Started Loving Worms..

It's not what you think...ha! Mike would mention it to me every once in awhile about starting a worm business...I would think about it and say "nah, not now." Then I began to just see if it was something I wanted to do. I thought I would give it a try. Before I bought some worms I thought about what I could put them in. One day I was driving down Hillcrest Road in Mobile and I saw a bathtub on the side of the road. Aha! I drive a pickup so it was real easy to load it up. Luckily it was a steel tub and not a cast iron one..ha..anyway I took it home and dragged it into my back yard..I filled it up with a lot of leaves..We have alot of oak trees in Mobile and when its fall weather and everything is drying up people put tons of leaves in bags on the edge of their properties for the city to pick up..I then bought some red wigglers on ebay from a guy in Rhode Island..I was disappointed in the first batch as it was not as described..but the second batch that he sent I put them in the tub..and now I have thousands..ha! I found another tub just recently and I put it out in the backyard with the other one..I also have green container boxes or tubs that I have full of red wigglers..I keep these in my home..I will take a tub, drill holes along the sides, fill it full of scredded paper, put a little dirt into it, the red wigglers and food..they can basically survive on scredded paper..I check on them about two to three times a week to see how they are doing..adding more paper or food..they thrive..and I mean thrive..ha! I collect the worm compost, seperating the compost from the worms thru a screen..then start all over again..It is truly amazing on what these worms can do..So that is all I do..but it is labor intensive. Especially seperating the compost from the worms. I really try to make sure most of the worms are out of the compost as I put the compost into another tub which has no air supply..The worms do what they do and I just help them along..

2 comments:

  1. How long have you been composting with worms? I live in Saraland, and I've got a homemade worm bin set up, but haven't added the worms, yet. That's how I found y'all--I googled worms and Mobile, looking for a local source. How much are the red worms? Can we pick them up, instead of having them shipped?

    Do you leave your bins outside all year? How'd you keep them from overheating this Summer? My wife won't let them inside and we don't have a closed-in garage. Any tips for a local beginner?

    Hope your worm b'ness and blog are successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin, Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment. I will be more then happy to help you if I can. You can reach me at 251-605-3024. Thanks, Sharon

    ReplyDelete