Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Let's Talk Weather...

I just had a possible customer asked me about shipping red wigglers in 100 degree weather..I had to do some research..I found that worms "can easily surviving in temperatures between 38 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit." Continuing in my quest I read "Another plus is that Red Wigglers are not as sensitive to temperature and sunlight as common nightcrawlers." So that being said..a little information about my shipping practices. I now package my red wigglers in kordon breathable bags..these bags are used for shipping fish and invertebrates. I pick the worms and put them in the bags the night before shipment. I put some food in the bag too..I leave them open till I get ready to go to the postoffice. I will tape them up, put them in the box, tape the box but not make it air tight. I open the corners of the box so that there is ventilation. I put "Live Worms" on all four sides also labeling the package "Fragile." I pay for Delivery Confirmation because I believe it offers extra incentative to the postal employee to make sure that the package arrives. I now advise my customers to make sure that their postman knows that you are expecting live worms. Also advise them to put them in "full shade" not "partial shade" as the worms will cook. I can also ship to your work address so you can recieve them if you have no one at your home...Its best to have someone to be at your home when you know its being delivered. That's another reason for Delivery Confirmation..you can track your package at www.usps.com ..
I just want to make sure the worms arrive alive..

No comments:

Post a Comment